Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spring Cleaning..

So Real Simple had an article on Back To Basics Cleaning in their new magazine that just came out...
So I thought I would give some of their suggestions a whirl.. I am a cleaning product junkie, as I think any clean freak is...and my friends/family that see the million different products that are under my sink always give me a hard time..so maybe I can simplify a bit..but only if these tips really work will I give up my beloved products!

Using lemons...

Cut a lemon in half and run it through the disposal... the lemon is suppose to clean it and make it smell great.. and smell great it did for even a couple days after I did it.. I will be using this little cleaning trick again..
To brighten whites add 1/2 cup lemon juice to the rinse cycle.. I thought this was interesting as I don't use bleach because Hailie's skin is so sensitive so I was curious to see if this worked.. after the 4th run to the washing machine to see if it was on rinse cycle yet and to find that I had missed it, I gave up on this one.. I mean what the heck..how are you suppose to time that one.. I give this tip a no go for me.. wasn't worth all the effort.

Using oils..
they suggested you use olive oil on a clean cloth to get extra sparkle on your stainless steel surfaces.. I usually use Method Stainless Steel Cleaner from Target with the special little cloth you can buy with it and I have been pretty happy with it but there are still some smudges on my fridge...so I poured a little olive oil on a kitchen towel and wiped down the fridge and my goodness gracious did it sparkle AND it stayed that way for quite awhile..this one is a keeper and now since olive oil is a staple in my pantry anyway I won't have to buy anymore Method cleaner so I am saving money too!

Using Vinegar..

They said to disinfect your dishwasher to pour 1/2 cup vinegar into the reservoir and run an empty cycle.. worked fantastic.. and I usually buy that dishwasher cleaner at the store so saving me money there too!

There were a ton more tips and I have a couple more on my list that I haven't had time to try out get, but check them all out online or better yet buy their magazine.. I love that magazine and let me know what tips you used that worked!

1 comment:

Biscuits 'N Gravy said...

I love the lemon in the garbage disposal, that's always been a favorite.

You can also shine your sink porcelain or stainles w/ a bit of olive oil.

Try this one with ANY citrus. Peel and slice the rinds of however many citrus you want. I like Grapefruit. Put in a large glass jar, and just top the rinds with Vinegar, let it sit in your fridge for a week. Now use that vinegar for cleaning. I like to do 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water as a regular around the house cleaner. It makes everything smell soooo goood! You can also put it in the rinse cycle (use a downy ball to get the timeing right), or in the dishwasher, etc.