Saturday, December 13, 2008

Kick Off To Baking Weekend...

Every Year for Christmas I head over to Williams-Sonoma and buy their Hot Chocolate and Vanilla Marshmallows.... I am telling you it is goooooood....


But this year I decided to try making my own marshmallows.. it was a risk but I found the recipe on Heather Bailey's sight....
So Friday night started off with me attempting to make my own marshmallows... I also found it extremely difficult to take pictures and cook at the same time..especially since I am not exactly the best cook.

I laid all the ingredients out.. I had to go buy a candy thermometer and a saucepan big enough to make the marshmallows in. Then I ended up going to THREE grocery stores to try and find the White Rice Flour with no luck.. but I put out a distress call to my sister in law and she found it at Sprouts..(Thanks Becci!!)



So everything started out simple enough.... ingredients in saucepan and then saucepan on stove.... but then...
it just seems like I can't make anything without some little thing going awry.. just a tiny fire was started... okay.. well maybe it was a medium one but Kyle came to the rescue because I started panicking and he just waltzed right over and turned off the burner and then put some water on it.. oh yeah..turn off the burner..
*note to self* next time you buy a new saucepan Cara you might want to check the bottom to see if there is any cardboard packaging on the bottom.. sorry I didn't snap a picture of the fire for you all as I was a wee bit busy.. but here it is smoldering out..

Watching the candy thermometer till it got to "soft ball" stage was kind of fun..good thing the candy thermometer had that labeled.. unless I would have had no idea when it was ready. Guess that is why you get a "candy thermometer"Look how fluffy and yummy that marshmallow fluff looks...

Then I decided to make it festive with some red food coloring swirled in.. It was pretty intense at first but once I sprinkled the rice flour/confection sugar mixture on the top, they looked perfect.


The finished product.. Not bad right? They were just as good as Williams-Sonoma and it was an extra bonus that I got to brag that I made them..

1 comment: